[En-Nut-Discussion] RAM usage for NUT/OS (Re-sending)

Ernst Stippl ernst at stippl.org
Mon May 19 20:15:45 CEST 2008

Hi!

I think the most complex parts to port are

- Nut/OS thread creation/switching (how the stackframe has to be set up)
  because that's tightly copled to HW architecture, so oyou have to
understand the CPU, registers etc and how the compiler uses them
- the initializing of ram, variables, etc beause thats usually done by the
compiler'd prefabricated runtime/init routines
- Nut/Net Ethernet driver because it depends on the chipset in use.

I have found that it helps enormously to be familiar with the source
platform, because it allows to "extrapolate" how various things need to be
re-implemented on the target platform.

How long it will take? Well, it depends how much of your spare time you can
dedicate. Maybe 100 hours for a basic port including an uart, timer,
threads, the necessary os libs and structures??

regards
Ernst