[En-Nut-Discussion] Make questions, next set of patches

duane ellis ethernut at duaneellis.com
Tue May 20 02:40:20 CEST 2008

TWO issues

------------------
ISSUE 1.
------------------

True or False?
    All makefiles in NUT are processed by GNU make.
    Not funny other makes that have odd problems.

I presume true.

I also assume the following is true:

GNU make will be reasonably new...
    But that means what?

My definition is:
    By "new" - I mean this:  GNU make 3.81. (released april 2006)
    the *PREVIOUS* version of GNU make (3.80) - was over 6 years ago.

I presume - by now - it is reasonably widely available for all platforms.
if not - Make is- by far- the easiest program to update.

------------------
ISSUE 2
------------------

ARM makefiles - specifically

    Make<whatever>.arm-gcc
and
    Make<whatever>.arm-gccdbg

These are vastly common - and there is another set in the 'apps' folder :-(
yes, some differences exist, but they look like somebody twiddling
options around and are not anything of substance.

I've always used the English term "boiler-plate" for this sort of stuff.
For you non-native-english-speakers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boilerplate_(text)

I propose a change, move the 'boiler-plate' to a NEW 'common' file.

    $(top_srcdir)/Make<whatever>.arm-gcc-common

Which the others "include".  I have this now, in my instance, it works
well.

Why? The permutations required to do -mthumb/-marm, and -mlittle/big
endian, etc... gets really big and really ugly.

Any objections?

-Duane.