[En-Nut-Discussion] NutOS Unix emulation status?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Nov 12 09:40:19 CET 2008

Tomi Korhonen wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing about the current ( and future ) state of Nut
> OS unix emulation. I managed to get the emulation to work with some
> tweaking but it seems to be incomplete so afaik you can't emulate for
> example any network related stuff. Is there any work being done on this?
> If not, how difficult would you say implementing it would be?

It's on my list and I'm not happy with the current status. Actually my
time is very limited, but I'm most interested to get this back on track.

I do not have much experience with sending raw Ethernet packets on
Linux, but I know how to do this on Windows (using the WinPCap lib). It
shouldn't be too difficult to create a new Ethernet driver for Nut/OS to
be used with the Linux emulation.

> If it could be done with reasonable effort I might be interested in looking
> into it. That is, if the emulation is considered to be useful and the
> possible patches might find their way to main source tree.

I'll try to help.