[En-Nut-Discussion] NutHeapAlloc Error?

Tim DeBaillie debaillie at ciholas.com
Thu Oct 16 06:09:53 CEST 2008

 From what I can tell, it would/could occur on ALL of the supported
processors. The part that allows this to happen in the first place is
that the heap size can be initialized to a NON-word boundary length.

This bug is actually quite nasty because it is VERY hard to detect. It
is very easily confused for running out of memory, a memory leak, or
blowing a stack in a thread. From our testing, it will occur in nearly
ALL NutOS applications that fragment the heap or utilize nearly all of
the heap at any point in time.

In a VERY busy system, the bug was exercised between 5-15 minutes. In
a normal system, I would expect an application could run for weeks or
months before exercising this case. This makes pin-pointing your
reboot problem rather difficult!

Tim