[En-Nut-Discussion] Memory card issues in EIR

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Fri Oct 31 14:53:13 CET 2008

Hello Harald

Harald Kipp wrote:
>> Ps. Stupid question but I don't want to break the house of cards that
>> is my environment: is it safe to update nut/os just by copying new
>> sources over old ones and rerunning the nutconfigure?
>
> Not sure if I understood this correctly. It is generally save to install
> a new Nut/OS version over an existing one and use the Configurator to
> update the libraries. Though, I'd recommend to use a new folder for each
> version. So you are able to switch between them. On Windows this is
> simply c:\ethernut-4.6.3 or c:\ethernut-4.6.4. On Linux you should
> create ~/ethernut/ and unpack the archives in this directory. So you get
> ~/ethernut/ethernut-4.6.3/ or ~/ethernut/ethernut-4.6.4/. Use the
> symbolic link nut to link to the current version, which will be
> accessible via ~/ethernut/nut/. Call the Configurator after changing to
> ~/ethernut/. You build directory will be ~/ethernut/nutbld/ and your
> application tree ~/ethernut/nutapp/.
>
> When changing versions, it is not only required to re-build Nut/OS, it
> is also advisable to re-create the sample directory. If you changed any
> application sample, the Configurator will not touch them.
>
> On Windows you need to create a new sample directory and copy your
> changes from the previous version's directory.
>
> There are other ways to deal with updates, but from our experience this
> works best. We are switching between versions quite often.
>
> If you want to modify Nut/OS library modules, you shouldn't do this in
> the source tree. Better copy the original Nut/OS file to your
> application directory and add it to the application's Makefile. This way
> your local version will replace the Nut/OS library module.

Will this interesting and useful information be lost in the shadows of
the archives? I wish I could have read this when I was first trying to
update my first NutOS installation.

In other words. Is this info written anywhere else? (I have not been
able to find it). If not, may I suggest you to put this somewhere where
newbies can easily find it? ( well, and not so newbies ;-) ).

Regards!
Jose'