[En-Nut-Discussion] Phat Formatting

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Sep 16 09:23:57 CEST 2008

Hi Alain,

Alain M. wrote:
> I believe that the problem here is the licence. FAT32 is a Microsoft
> patent, open software can use it, but embedded system cannot format any
> media... or something close to it, read the licence, it may be more
> complicated.

Never heard about patent problems specifically with formatting, though
I'm aware that FAT is not plain sailing. All this license stuff is
difficult to read for non-native English speakers and I appreciate any
help on this topic.

The funny thing is, that my PDA running MS WinPPC cannot format SD Cards
either.