[En-Nut-Discussion] IPv6

johan van der Stoel johan at streamit.eu
Tue Sep 16 13:34:54 CEST 2008

Harald,

We are discussing this topic with large customers (retail chains) and they
have their policies... So no choice for us, and the market I think.
I'm not so good in these things at SourceForge, perhaps anyone else is
willing to add this topic?
Furthermore, we have the same questions as you have: which choices to make,
and how to test? But I guess within this group a lot of expertise is
available, so I am awaiting reactions from other list members.

Johan

> My view is slightly different. IPv6 had been a big topic many years ago.

> I remember, that at that time my company had 8 officially allocated IP
addresses. It really looked like the Internet world is running out of
address space. However, DHCP and specifically NAT dramatically changed the
situation. Actually some IPv6 advocates tried to prohibit NAT, because it
delays the change to IPv6. In a way I agree, because the initial intention
of the Internet was to provide a unique address to each node. On the other
hand I'm afraid, that selling IP addresses would become a big business, like
domain name registration is today. Can you imagine, that there had been a
time of free IP addresses and free domain registration? Good ol' days...

> I recently looked into Adam Dunkels' uIP again, which supports IPv6. To me
it doesn't look complicated. Quite the contrary, as it is limited to single
layer only and a few variables. As a first action, I'd suggest to add it to
the feature request list at SourceForge.

> For me the next question would be, how to test this in our IPv4
infrastructure.

> Harald

Johan van der Stoel
---------
Streamit BV
Flight Forum 3543 - 5657 DW Eindhoven - The Netherlands
KvK: 17192664

Email: johan at streamit.eu
Web:  http://www.streamit.eu <http://www.streamit.eu/>
Mobile: +31 6 18842718