[En-Nut-Discussion] Network Link state on at91_emac and others

Alain M. alainm at pobox.com
Tue Sep 16 23:30:17 CEST 2008

Harald Kipp escreveu:

> I will not getting tired to argue, that TCP is designed to keep
> connections on broken links.

I agree

> I will not getting tired to argue, that dropping connections on Ethernet
> link loss will not solve any problem.

I agree

> I will not getting tired to argue, that implementing keepalive is the
> only correct way to detect broken links.

I agree, and even more, that in 99% of the situations it should be
implemented at the application level.

> I will not getting tired to argue, that keepalive, if implemented, must
> be disabled by default.

I agree, it could even be conditional compile. The problem with
keep-alive inside TCP is that it does not in the least help to solve
application problems, specially reconnect.

Alain