[En-Nut-Discussion] Phat Formatting

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Sat Sep 20 18:26:13 CEST 2008

Hi all,

> After all these informations I come to the conclusion, that we should
> handle this with more care. We should consider to exclude VFAT
> compatibility from standard build and place related routines to the new
> contrib folder.
>
> http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Nut/OS_Roadmap
> (near the end of the page)

Is there anyone here with a deeper knowledge to all this patent related
things? i.E. from FSFE?

Anyway other free operating systems like xyz-BSD and Linux also support
VFAT. So there _must_ be a possebility to use FAT nowadays.

Interesting is the german wikipedia article:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#VFAT

Is seems that at least in germany the VFAT patents were rejected.

Regards,

Ole Reinhardt

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |