[En-Nut-Discussion] killing threads waiting for a connection in NutTcpAccept

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Tue Apr 7 12:59:26 CEST 2009

Hello Thiago.

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> Hi José,
>
>    Looks like there is no easy solution, and both sounds a bit ugly to me.
>
>    I think it would be acceptable to have an NutTcpAccept timeout as
> long as it's not tied to the receive timeout and made configurable so
> the extra code doesn't need to be included for those not willing to
> use it.
>
>   Perhaps we should try to address why would you want to kill the
> thread in the first place. I can't think of any reason.

The main reason is to save memory. Other than that is simply to not to
have a thread running that is not necessary, but as you might understand
this is not a powerful one.

Said this, as long as our system does not run out of memory we are fine,
but we had already to reduce the number of other extra threads at some
point, so I want to be ready if this happens again. Basically I want to
be able to kill any thread that is not absolutely necessary.

Regards
José