[En-Nut-Discussion] "Enable multiple configurations" in Nut/OS config

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Apr 17 20:47:12 CEST 2009

Nathan Moore wrote:
> I'm using a heavily modified older version of Nut/OS (based on 4.4.0), and
> we've beenhaving issues with building the modified OS on a PC which also has

If your time allows this, I'd be happy if you can list a few problems at
http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Nut/OS_Upgrade

> I just ran across the option "Enable multiple configurations" in the Nut/OS
> config, but

The tree is fully controlled by the scripts and the configuration files,
while the settings use
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.8/wx_wxconfigoverview.html

As stated earlier, I'd like to have all compiler settings moved to
wxConfig to keep the Nut/OS .conf files clean from compiler dependencies.

The "multiple configuration" option had been introduced as a "quick
hack" by Christian Welzel, who got tired of changing the settings over
and over again while dealing with different target boards. There had
been plans to implement something more advanced, but over the time
Christian's modification proofs to be simple and effective. In fact it
uses the .conf file name as a subkey. This way the related settings are
restored when loading a specific .conf file.

To be true, there always had been some issues with this, see
http://ethernut.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ethernut/trunk/nut/tools/nutconf/settings.cpp?view=log

The latest version the settings get lost after saving the .conf file
with a different name.

This may not help in your case, but hopefully sheds some light on the
internals,