[En-Nut-Discussion] Register hostname for Ethernut

Bernd Walter enut at cicely.de
Fri Dec 4 16:56:28 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:22:44AM -0500, Nathan Moore wrote:
> It is possible to have a DHCP server register the name on a local DNS
> server,
> which may run on the same machine as the DHCP server, or even be the same
> program.

Yes it is possible, but it is still the job of the network configuration
and not of the ethernut device.
The only fixed data of a delivered ethernut device is the MAC.
print it onto the device.
If you search a device you can ping your network broadcast and look into
your arp table.
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/nutapps.html
Part IP configuration tells the commands required.

There was also some kind of broadcast based IP configuration service.
Start the windows based configurator and it lists all ethernut devices
in your LAN running this service.
I can't find the reference right now.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de