[En-Nut-Discussion] New stable release (was Re: TCP FFlush slow on Ethernut 3 - solved)

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Feb 17 20:21:16 CET 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> Are you using the CVS code?

For his production code I think Martin will not risk using the beta.
Unfortunately the "stable version" is quite old. By definition it is not
allowed to add any additional functionality to the stable branch, but
this is obviously an edge case.

Quite interesting, that the impact of this flaw is that big. We did a
few performance checks some weeks ago. The results were that bad, that
we were sure that our trainee, who wrote the code, made a bad mistake.
No one had enough time to look in to it. May be the same problem with
the RTC.

Anyway, to the topic. Both, the release of a new stable branch had been
expected since weeks and thus the 4.6 code hadn't been touched. Many
fixes had been applied to 4.7 beta lately and the stability looks good
so far. Beside that, I'm interesting to get your AVR32 port included and
also the BTnut project (those few people who are left) announced their
interest in moving to the Ethernut distribution. This should not happen
before we tag a stable branch 4.8 and then moving CVS HEAD to Subversion.

I'll need a few more days to update some docs and web pages, may be
fixing more bugs as they appear. Nevertheless, I think we should fix a
deadline now.

If time allows, fixing the RTC trouble and a few other things in the 4.6
branch would still be a good idea after too many things changed in 4.7,
which may break existing apps.

Harald

P.S. If the ancient Egyptians would have trained their toes for
counting, we would now have 40 hours per day.