[En-Nut-Discussion] New stable release (was Re: TCP FFlush slow on Ethernut 3 - solved)

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Wed Feb 18 15:22:04 CET 2009

Hi Harald,

> We can decide this now. Let's be realistic and better add some more time
> than expected. After such a long delay it doesn't matter if there is one
> week more or less required. What about 1st of March?

Fine, sounds reasonable.

> > Sorry, as always there is so much to do and I'd relay like to intensivly
> > test my code by myself before checkin it in. In detail I'd still like to
> > add the ICMP support for UDP sockets to the next stable release. If you
> > like I'd first send you the patches for review before cheking them in.
>
> I think it is easier to put it to CVS head. As long as it compiles it
> will be fine. In case of problems with other compilers or compiler
> versions I can fix it in short time, no problem.
>
> The next stable version after 4.8 (probably 5.0) may take more time,
> depending on the progress with the AVR32. So I also think it is a good
> idea to have things like ICMP with UDP available in 4.8.

Ok, I'll checkin my ICMP code today. Will just do a last test with AVR
and ARM plattform. I'll also create a short demo program to demonstrate
people the new feature. I even think we should create much more demo
programs to demonstrate more features of NutOS.

> Also note, that we will publish a release candidate and test it here on
> all our platforms first before declaring 4.8 stable.
>
> Well, from experience I know, that bugs will be reported after the
> stable one is released. :-)

... as always :)

> > What's about adding this little code snipped collection? They won't be
> > critical for stability?
>
> That's fine for me. I'd also want to move my XML parser to this lib.
> Will you do the directory layout? I can update Makefiles, Lua scripts
> etc. Please do not use more than 2 levels, e.g. nut/gorp/xml should not
> contain any additional subdir (like nut/c/. Although arch contains one
> more level, it uses two only.) I'm not sure about the Configurator and
> won't end up fighting with this tool because of a currently avoidable
> feature.

Yes, I can do so. I think I'll also get those Makefiles to work for at
least gcc. Changes for ICC I'll leave to you?

We shure won't need deeper levels than those two, do we? Cant imagine a
need right now.

Bye,

Ole

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |