[En-Nut-Discussion] Cannot load Ethernut into Olimex sam7-ex256

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Tue Feb 24 09:55:39 CET 2009

Hi!

> I managed to get it finally through SAM-BA. (I had to disconnect the
>  OCD programmer, first). I loaded the bin into the flash, and set the
>  gpnvm bit to load from flash. On next reset, it all worked.
>  However, I still haven't figured out how to do the same through OCD.
>  Do I use bin, hex or elf file? What do I specify as start address (if
>  anything)? I have tried few combinations, but still can't get it to
>  run...

Everything you need is a working OpenOCD configuration file for the
olimex board. Unfortunately OpenOCD has been very much changing in it's
configuration file syntax, so not shure if it will work, but I pasted
you below my configuration file below. This one is working with the
OpenOCD version from Ubuntu 8.10

To flash your board you need to first halt the cpu with:

halt

Next you can program you file:

flash write_bank 0 /home/user/ethernut-projects/my-app/my-app.bin

Then, after a few seconds, you can reset the cpu:

reset

That's it. As you see you'll need the .bin file for this job.

Hope this helps you a little.

Bye,

Ole Reinhardt

PS: Here is my configuration file. This one is configured for the Olimex
OpenOCD JTAG Tiny dongle:

#daemon configuration
telnet_port 4444
gdb_port 3333

#interface
interface ft2232
ft2232_device_desc "Olimex OpenOCD JTAG TINY"
ft2232_layout "olimex-jtag"
ft2232_vid_pid 0x15ba 0x0004

jtag_speed 0
jtag_nsrst_delay 200
jtag_ntrst_delay 200

#reset_config <signals> [combination] [trst_type] [srst_type]
reset_config srst_only

#jtag_device <IR length> <IR capture> <IR mask> <IDCODE instruction>
jtag_device 4 0x1 0xf 0xe

#daemon_startup <'attach'|'reset'>
daemon_startup reset

#target <type> <endianess> <reset_mode> <jtag#> [variant]
#target arm7tdmi little run_and_init 0 arm7tdmi
target arm7tdmi little reset_halt 0 arm7tdmi

#run_and_halt_time <target#> <time_in_ms>
run_and_halt_time 0 30

flash bank at91sam7 0 0 0 0 0

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |