[En-Nut-Discussion] arm port (RFC: Changing ARM mode)

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jan 13 17:28:49 CET 2009

Rocendo Bracamontes del toro wrote:

>  we could plan to do so for a release after 4.8 ?

Depends, please see my other post. We will definitely not release 4.8
running in supervisor mode, whatever the final solution might be.

>> Furthermore, will there be any influence on other platforms like the AVR?
>   Currently working with Thiago, porting the AVR32.  On this architecture we
> have similar needs as the ARM.  I do not think the 8-Bit AVR would require
> this level of management, since it does not support multiple execution
> modes.

Ah, I see. So you are also interested in a soon release of 4.8. As soon
as the branch had been created, we can move CVS HEAD to a subversion
trunk and add your current AVR32 porting efforts, which will then
hopefully attract more people.

I do not think either, that the 8-bit AVR needs this level of
management. My question was (or was intended to be): Would the code
changes have any impact on the 8-bit AVR?

Right now it works this way:
1. Application calls NutSleep()
2. Linker sees reference to NutSleep() and adds os/timer.o to the binary
3. Application calls NutSleep() like any other library function

Where would be the optimal place to add the privileged mode switch?