[En-Nut-Discussion] Upcoming stable release 4.8

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Jan 16 15:22:57 CET 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> There is a problem with the discovery protocol. It replies with
> hostname[8] while confos.hostname is 16 bytes long, so we get
> truncated names.
> Given the lack of replies from November 14th mail [1], I guess it's ok
> to commit. No one could complain about lack of warning, but still, I'm
> trying not to step on anyone's toes.
>
> [1] http://lists.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2008-November/010068.html

I'd have started crying. Fortunately you had been too busy to make it
come true. :-)

We have several Ethernuts running in our local network with discovery
service enabled. It would have been a lot of trouble to find out, that
the discovery protocol changed in an undetectable, incompatible fashion.

I just found a way to support both, old 7 byte host names and a new
version with configurable size. So, please keep your hands off and let
me commit my solution first.