[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut-OS, AVR, and MMC interface....

Jim Patchell patchell at cox.net
Thu Jan 22 06:21:35 CET 2009

I needed an MMC interface to go along with my Ethernut project that I am
doing.  I made the interface in an FPGA and wrote some code to test it
and all that worked just fine.

The problem I had was with the PHAT0 device driver...I could not find
any way of getting NutConfigurator to include that driver into the
library build (for the AVR....ATmega2561).  I finally sat down, and
poured through all of the Lua scripts (a learning experience for me...I
never even heard of Lua until yesterday), and at the very least figured
out how to modify the scripts so I could build the libraries.

Anyway...today, I got the MMC driver connected up to PHAT0, and it all
worked perfectly... :-).  I was able to run the demo web page off of the
MMC card... I have to say...I was really amazed.

Anyway, my question is:

Was there an easier way to get the Nut libraries to build and include
PHAT without resorting to changing the Lua scripts... (I specifically
changed fs.nut ... think that was the name of the file)?

This experience also taught me a few things.  I already knew that Nut-OS
was pretty good, but after going through the pains of making this device
driver...I didn't realize just how sophisticated Nut-OS was.  It is
pretty cool the way the device drivers can sort of magically connect to
each other.  Very nice, indeed.

-Jim