[En-Nut-Discussion] Sending and receiving of DMX packets

PragmaLab info at pragmalab.nl
Tue Jul 7 20:40:06 CEST 2009

Hello Alexnder,

> Hello!
> Did somebody try to use AVR-based Ethernut-2.1 for
> controlling DMX512A device, like LED lighter?

Yes, I did, but with an Ethernut 1.3 board. Replacing the Xtal by 16MHz
gives the desired 250 KBAUD that DMX requires. The board is capable of
sending and receiveing DMX simultaneously. Actually not that difficult to
make if you use the normal UART interrupts. Ofcourse it also communicates
with network devices over TCP/IP (why else should I use NutOs ;-) so it can
transport DMX packets to- and from a PC-application. I use it as the
hardware part for my followme-product with which it is possible to add
automated follow functions to an ordinary light-board (see
http://www.pragmalab.nl/followme.html for now in Dutch only).

The maximum DMX refresh rate as USITT subcribes is easily met. Startbyte is
configurable and timing (like mark-after-break)is very precise and meets the
standard as well.

Please let me know if you want any more info on the subject.

Regards,

Rob van Lieshout