[En-Nut-Discussion] Tcp receiving buffer problem

piotrbocian piterb at op.pl
Tue Jul 14 08:18:48 CEST 2009

I have a following problem. I use an IP camera, which non-stops sends a
stream of jpg pictures via tcp to Atmega128.
When I'm receiving these pictures every several seconds, everything is OK,
however when I'm trying to receive a next picture after a while (about 30
seconds) program crashes (I get the same value of one byte non-stop or i
don't get anything).

I suppose that a problem is in a tcp buffer, which can receive only a
limited number of bytes, and it rejects further bytes or it breaks at all.

Temporarily I made up, to create thread which receives bytes from tcp all
the time (to purge buffer) and it works, but it is very inefficient to get
512 unnecessary bytes every 125 ms.

Is my theory about blocking up a tcp buffer true, and is there any better
solution of this problem?

Thank You in advance for any help :)