[En-Nut-Discussion] Moving to Subversion

Edwin van den Oetelaar edwin at oetelaar.com
Sun Mar 1 20:53:36 CET 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Just my opinion on this, please don't take anything personaly.
>
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Marti Raudsepp <marti at juffo.org> wrote:
>> May I suggest considering distributed version control systems before
>> making that decision? Lots of open source projects are already
>> migrating from Subversion to distributed systems; as far as I can tell
>> it's only a matter of time when SVN meets the same fate as CVS.
>
> Subversion is actively developed, recently they improved their merging
> algorithms.
> Different projects have different requirements, just because others
> are using something else, it doesn't mean we should.
> Also, we host our code, bugtracker, etc at SourceForge. Anything
> different than CVS or SVN would be considering moving the hosting of
> the code at least.

I would like to add to that.
Subversion works on my systems, it integrates nicely with Windows via
Turtoise and with my Gnome Desktop, Eclipse (which I also use for AVR)
and Komodo (perl/python).
It has a command line interface I understand. (since I used CVS before)
We should choose the tool that is best for the project, not the tool
that is in fashion this week.

just my opinion,
Greetings,
Edwin

Ps. For your info, SourceForge will be integrating Git in their system.