[En-Nut-Discussion] Moving to Subversion

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sun Mar 1 21:03:58 CET 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
 >    Just my opinion on this, please don't take anything personaly.

Bummer! Would have been a good chance for a flame war. ;-)

I agree with some of your arguments, many of them I'm not able to
comment because I do not know much about DVCSs yet.

> recently Git's win32 support was praticaly unexistant. And from what I
> could find, it's still a bit awkward. Depending on cygwin isn't
> properly supporting Win32, just like providing win32 binaries to run
> under Wine isn't properly supporting Linux.

AFAIK there is a mingw based version available now.

Anyway, your critics are mostly related to git. Mercurial seems to
provide better Win32, OS X and internationalization support.

> We should consider what are our requirements and make up our mind for
> ourselfs, not based on other project's decisions.

Yes and no. Definitely we have to make our own judgement. On the other
hand you can't change a VCS easily so it is important to look to other
project's decisions just to make sure that the selected VCS will have a
long future.