[En-Nut-Discussion] Moving to Subversion

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Mar 2 10:51:50 CET 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:

>> Yes and no. Definitely we have to make our own judgement. On the other
>> hand you can't change a VCS easily so it is important to look to other
>> project's decisions just to make sure that the selected VCS will have a
>> long future.
>
> Harald, that would be assuming that subversion developers counts how
> many ppl use it and that they would just stop development had this
> count gone down some magic number. That's not true, otherwise we would
> have all moved to FreeRTOS (God forbid *smile*).

Good point! ;-)

But probably I got your point more clearly. Several projects move away
from centric version control. I agree that this does not mean that
Subversion will die in the near future. I assume, that its user base is
still increasing. Btw. the ancient RCS is still in use today and running
fine on the latest hardware and OSes.

> Ultimately it will be your decision as the project admin,

Unfortunately yes. Unfortunately because making the wrong decision may
drive the rest of our community towards FreeRTOS. ;-)

Please do not miss my answer to Marti's post, which I will write now.