[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS 4.8

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 12:15:10 CET 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:
> Ole Reinhardt wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I did not yet manage to add the "gorp" directory and my first
>> content... Do you still accept there enhancements for 4.8? So I'd add
>> them today / tomorrow. Those won't add lots of dependencies I think?
>
> Even worse I'm feeling sick today, unable to arrange my thoughts,
> spending my time filling this mailing list with idle talk.

Sorry to hear that.

>> Btw: There were some requests for my SAM7 bootloader code. I'd like to
>> add this too. First Idea was to add it to the boot directory, but as it
>> it a simple NutOS application it can't be build standalone without
>> configured NutOS. So better place would be the app directory?
>
> Mh...good questions. I'd still favor the boot directory, but the
> difficulty is the required path to the build tree. Wouldn't it be
> acceptable for a boot loader to instruct the user to add the right path
> of the Nut/OS libs to the Makefile?

Couldn't we generate Makefiles for it the way we do for the apps?
A boot folder would be nice, we could arrange things better. I
personaly would call it bootloader instead though.
Then we could move appmon and eboot there as well, and make it more
evident what they are. I remember when I was a newbie with ethernut I
wasn't even aware there were bootloaders there for quite a while.

It would be nice if we made them a little more production aware as
well, add optional crypto or something. Should make things easier for
new comers and reduce the necessity of forking the bootloaders into
private projetcs. It doesn't have to be super strong, and we could
make the keys configurable :)
Just a thought anyway.

Kind Regards,
   Thiago A. Correa