[En-Nut-Discussion] New displays, chained devices, best way or how to

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 01:39:33 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Ulrich Prinz <uprinz2 at netscape.net> wrote:
>> The reason for the NutRegister*Device in app code is to make it easy
>> for the linker to axe unused code.
>>
> Yea, I have to look at that in detail. The displays I use mostly have
> both interfaces, a parallel and a serial one (SPI). So it might be a
> good idea to first register a display interface and then register the
> display to that interface. So one could use both physical connections.
> But I am trying to avoid blowing up the code just to throw some pixels
> on a screen. I'd prefer to have some space for the application left in
> the flash.

It could be a compile time option. We have that for the text displays,
to select pins, bus width, etc.

> By the way, I design on the AT91SAM7X256-EK. And project pressure is
> quite high. So I'll support any port to other CPUs of the nutos a bit later.

I could help with that, keeping the code "cross platform". It's not
hard, actually :)

>> I had issues too, with the autotools. I couldn't generate the Makefile
>> under Gentoo. It just can't find lua files, don't know about others.
>> Is that the same problem you are having?
>>
> Some externals from us ported the 4.6.4 code to work on linux and they
> promised to push any open source code modifications back to the
> community. So under suse 10 and ubuntu >7.x it's compiling fine in the
> shell. But the GUI configurator has it's problems. It starts but doesn't
> get very far. You might see duplicate scrollbars and only one is working
> mostly. The other one sends the gui to hell.

Hmm I never got it to compile so I haven't seen that behavior. It
works ok under Windows.
Probably the problem lies with wxWidgets, it's terrible for
cross-platform because if those platform dependent quirks. They just
have too much platform dependent code as they try to abstract the
platforms at the system widget level instead of at the painter level.
They were doing a wxUniversal or something like that to correct this
design flaw, but I don't know if it's usable or if the Nut
Configurator can be ported to that.

Btw, you should try the configurator from CVS, there was some fixes
there that will show up in 4.8 sometime this month.

Thanks,
   Thiago A. Correa