[En-Nut-Discussion] GCC optimizations

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Mar 16 17:19:19 CET 2009

Coleman Brumley wrote:

> I'm seeing very strange things, like the generation of prefetch aborts and
> data aborts when optimization is turned off.  When optimization is enabled
> (-Os), then these aborts don't happen.  Unfortunately, sometime, it's vice
> versa.

Most likely these are stack overflows. Without size optimization, the
ARM needs upto 3 times more stack space.

Nut/OS 4.8 offers new possibilities to address this. When switching to
arm-gccdbg, all thread stacks will be automatically increased.
Furthermore I implemented Michael Fischer's suggestion to monitor real
stack usage.

Next question: Where is this documented?
Answer: That's another problem.