[En-Nut-Discussion] NutTcpAccept blocks the tread

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Sun Nov 1 00:45:33 CET 2009

Hi!

I had that problem on a serial interface protocol... Establishing
communication, doing a handshake and setup and then run a protocol
everything with different timings and second and third part with
timeout, first one without...

I solved it with a simple thing:
I wrote a minimalistic thread waiting for an event on th serial line. If
the event happened, the thread does an initial handshake and creates the
second thread and terminates itself directly after.
The second thread initiates telegrams and creates a third thread,
decoding the telegrams. If the third thread detects communication
problems, it terminates itself and the second thread tries to recover.
If that fails, the second thread starts the first one and terminates itself.
Works wonderful!

Now to your problem:
How if you write a small thread for waiting for a tcp connection. You
can start this thread several times, giving different parameters
regarding the ports and interfaces to serve. You hand over a parameter
pointing to the stream too.

Then you write a second thread, serving the data when an connection has
been established. This thread can have timeout handling and the other
things you like. The state-machine in the main loop can detect if the
thread has a connection or not by a variable or something.

Now, I would not start the second thread as I do not see, why one single
state machine does everything, but if you like, start 5 of the first and
5 of the second threads.

If a connection is accepted, the first type of threads detects it,
accepts the connection and does a NutEventPost on the related
data-thread. While normally a timeout will result in NutEventWait() ==
-1, now it will return 0 and you know that you have been waked by
incoming data, so handle it.

I would have started the data-threads in the accept-threads and handed
over the needed pointers to the stream as a parameter. You need to
define a message-box or use some global variables for that. Both should
work and does not need a rework of the network system.

The accept-threads can also get some more timeout handling. If the
data-threads see, that a connection is closed, they can do a
NutEventPost() on the accept-threads. But that could lead to a stuck
thread if there is an unclean connection abort. So the accept threads
could check some counters or so to assure that the corresponding
data-thread is working well. If they get awake because NutEventWait()
returns -1 they check and handle erroneous conditions, if returned 0 the
await a new connection.

If you change to my implementation, the accept-threads will create
corresponding data-threads and vice versa. The main loop will check if
either accept- or data-thread exists and works well. If not it will
reboot or try to kill the threads ( never checked if that is possible
with Nut/OS) and restart them.

Regards,
Ulrich