[En-Nut-Discussion] Putting strings etc transparent into PROGMEM

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Oct 23 16:27:03 CEST 2009

    Harald> Uwe Bonnes wrote:
    >> What about adding NutVersionString_P() then?

    Harald> How would that help? Compatibility requires to have
    Harald> NutVersionString returning a string in RAM. Adding
    Harald> NutVersionString_P would add more code, nothing else.

    Harald> May I ask why you spend that much time on 8 bytes of RAM? I'm
    Harald> almost sure there are more promising parts in the library.

Well on the AT90CAN128 with no external RAM, code memory is ample and RAM is
few. Adding a printf_P with the version string brought down available heap,
so I was thinking about how to keep that usefill feature witout scrificing
RAM...
But thinking again, probably most usefull would be to have
#define OS_VERSION_NUMBER  0x04090700UL
in sys/version.h an so one could construct PROGMEM strings with it and use
it for conditional compilations.
Sorry for wasting your time.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de