[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Using CMake

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Sep 7 17:08:57 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I've been looking for an autotools replacement from time to time, but
nothing caught my attraction.

Since version 2.6 CMake
http://www.cmake.org/
supports cross compiling. This looks quite promising.

autotools could do a lot of nice things. Running it on native Windows
isn't trivial and I don't want to force users to install Cygwin or MingW
just to get Nut/OS up and running.

I also don't like to add more tools than absolutely necessary, but it
looks to me, that CMake may help us a lot to create Makefiles and linker
scripts for different targets.

Any opinions? Anyone, who already used this tool, may share his experience?

Thanks,