[En-Nut-Discussion] NutCOnf/Qt

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Sep 8 20:39:00 CEST 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:

> There is nothing I'm getting from the old Nut Configurator except for
> the common C code that handles Lua and as far as I can tell, that is
> not GPL (doesn't have a header) and I haven't distributed either
> source or binary yet, so not licensed :D

That had been done 99% by me without using any code from the eCos
release. Contributions had been mainly bug fixes and minor upgrades.
(Sorry for downgrading your work on this part). I think we are save with
changing the license.

Another reason for using GPL is, that it would allow to include other
valuable code. But this is not relevant right now.

So I'd also vote to go for BSDL. If it turns out later, that we want to
add some nifty GPL'ed code, we may add GPL as well, if required.

> If it comes to that, we could rewrite the Lua C code interface,
> perhaps using C++ could make it more efficient without all the
> strdups.

Beside some ugly code sequences, the reason for keeping this part in
simple C is, that compiling C++ sometime creates unforseen problems. C
is quite stable. As a last chance the user is always able to create the
nutconfigure command line tool with any lousy C compiler.