[En-Nut-Discussion] Could not enter programming mode

Andre Riesberg andre at riesberg-net.de
Wed Sep 23 16:32:14 CEST 2009

Daniel wrote:

>Andre Riesberg schrieb:
>

>>Daniel wrote:
>>

>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>While I was programming my Ethernut 1.3 with stk500.exe, I had connected
>>>SCK (SPI Bus Serial Clock) to GND. After that I read, that I must not do
>>>that.
>>>Now stk500.exe tells me, that the controller "Could not enter
>>>programming mode".
>>>
>>>Any advise how to fix it up?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Daniel
>>>

>>Hi Daniel,
>>
>>do you pull the SCK signal to GND only on the programmer or on cpu or on
>>both?
>>
>>Do you have disconnected all power supplys and start again?
>>
>>Please make some tests:
>>First, disconnect programmer and CPU.
>>
>>- Check the SCK signal at the programmer: In normal condition (no
>>programming) the signal must be on high level.
>>- Check the SCK signal at the CPU board. Normally you see a low level.
>>With a 10k resistor to +5V you can pull this signal to high level.
>>- With still disconnected board try to start programming (I use
>>avrdude). With a scope you can see (for a short time) a lot of pulse on
>>the SCK line.
>>
>>Does this work?
>>
>>Greeting
>>Andre

>Hi Andre, thanks for the answer.
>
>Here are the results of the tests you mentioned:
>
>- SP Duo 2 Programmer, only supported with Vcc & GND, not connected to
>CPU: SCK (PB1) is low
>    When I start programming, I see a short low voltage at SCK.
>Unfortunately I doesn't have a scope, only a voltmeter.
>    You say, the signal must be on high level. It's low. But I can
>program my second Ethernut with this SP Duo without problems.
>
>- CPU, not connected with SP Duo 2: SCK (PB1) is low
>    Should I try to pull the SCK line high, when I connect the
>programmer to the CPU?
>

>Daniel

Hi Daniel,

see my commends:

- SP Duo 2 Programmer, only supported with Vcc & GND, not connected to
CPU: SCK (PB1) is low
** Could be ok. I have no schematics from this programmer.
    When I start programming, I see a short low voltage at SCK.
Unfortunately I doesn't have a scope, only a voltmeter.
** That's makes it a little complicated......
    You say, the signal must be on high level. It's low. But I can
program my second Ethernut with this SP Duo without problems.
** Ok. I think the programmer is no defect.

- CPU, not connected with SP Duo 2: SCK (PB1) is low
    Should I try to pull the SCK line high, when I connect the
** Try it with 10k! You have a second board, try to compare the signals on the two board.

programmer to the CPU?

Greetings
Andre