[En-Nut-Discussion] Could not enter programming mode

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Sep 25 14:02:17 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel,

Daniel wrote:

> Any hints what to do now? Is the board broken? Should I send it back to
> egnite?

Sorry, because of the quoting style this thread was hard to read. While
being short in time I chose to ignore it. Thanks to Andre for jumping
in. Andre is not egnite, but I am. Looks like I have to respond now. ;-)

However, I'm still not sure what may have happened. Let me try to give a
summary:

1. You connected the SP Duo 2 to Ethernut 1.3.
2. During programming you noticed, that you had PB1 connected to ground
by accident
3. After removing the PB1 to GND connection, programming still fails.
4. Following the advice from Andre, you noticed that PB1 is always low
in idle mode

In fact PB1 and the SP Duo's are both high impedance in idle mode.
Depending on your equipment, you may measure anything.

The shortcut to ground may have damaged the SP Duo. To compensate your
frustration a bit, egnite will send you a free replacement. Just mail
your shipping address to info at egnite dot de. If it still fails,
egnite may ask you to send in both, the programmer and your Ethernuts.

Btw. stk500.exe is probably OK and a good choice with ICCAVR. If not
using ImageCraft, I'd consider using avrdude. It is much better
supported and works very well.

Harald

P.S.: For good quoting please read
http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html#SECTION00090000000000000000