[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS upgrade

Jose Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Wed Dec 29 11:30:57 CET 2010

On 29/12/10 11:04, Wiktor wrote:

> Hi André,
>
> I still do not understand although I read the help of OpenOCD. My goal is
> not only to apply an example but to
> change the operating system nut/os on the board. How do I do that?

It seems that you are expecting an OS (Operating System) like those for
"ordinary computers" (desktops, laptops...) in which the applications
are separated of the operating system. In such case you have to install
(and upgrade) OS and applications independently.

With OSs targetting tiny embedded systems (like NutOS) that is not the
case normally. Your application is compiled and then linked with the
operating system into a single file that contains both. That is the file
that you load in the microcontroller. Consequently, if you want to
upgrade the OS that your application is using, you will have to compile
and link your application making sure that it is linked using the
upgraded OS.

This is very simple in NutOS.
1-Compile the new version of NutOS that you want to use (using nutconf,
for example)
2-Create the sample directory (also using nutconf)
3-re-make your application as you do normally (note: your application
must be under the directory where you configured the upgraded NutOS to
create the sample applications!).

That is all.

Good luck