[En-Nut-Discussion] NutGetMillis overflow documentation

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Fri Feb 5 12:41:17 CET 2010

Hello all.

NutGetMillis returns an uint32_t, and (2^32)/1000/3600/24 is about 49.71
(days). So the overflow of the amount of milliseconds since start time
is maximum about 49.71 days, and not 7.9 _years_ as is suggested in the
documentation.

I bring this to notice as I found this info not only in the comments of
the function, but also now in the NutOS Software Manual (page 37)
http://www.ethernut.de/pdf/enswm28e.pdf

The issue with the comments of the function has been discussed several times
(Nov 2005)
http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_rtos_en-nut-discussion/browse_frm/thread/a54f5e0257aa4a25/fccf4fa9ed9534d6?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=+NutGetMillis+overflow+#fccf4fa9ed9534d6
(Nov 2007)
http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_rtos_en-nut-discussion/browse_frm/thread/e874525531b847f5/afc67a3e8fb55b7a?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=+NutGetMillis+overflow+#afc67a3e8fb55b7a
(Feb 2008)
http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_rtos_en-nut-discussion/browse_frm/thread/3a6af336fd0a481b/47209d582e46ad5e?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=+NutGetMillis+overflow+#47209d582e46ad5e

In one of these threads Harald suggested to add a bug report. I cannot
add it myself.

Regards
José