[En-Nut-Discussion] UROM file system and RAM vs Flash allocation on AT91SAM

Nathan Moore nategoose at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 17:31:25 CET 2010

> I'm very near to a flash file system named UFLASH, specifically designed
> for Atmel's Dataflash. It works great in general, but in later tests
> file entries got vanished after reboot. :-( It will take a few weeks
> more to publish it.

Looking forward to seeing it.

> Like Coffee, most file systems will not work well with serial flash,
> because these devices require a full page erase with every byte
> modification.

None of them allow you to skip the page erase if you are only clearing
some bits, such
as appending data to a partially used page?
I'm not very familiar with flash parts, but did toy around with
designing a flash based FS
once and used my assumptions about appending data (only clearing bits)
to pages as
part of the design for non-regular file data.  This was all
theoretical since I never have
found time to do any real work on it.

Nathan