[En-Nut-Discussion] Improvement for faster mounting of

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:36:11 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Rob van Lieshout (PragmaLab)
<info at pragmalab.nl> wrote:
> Good proposal. This way we provide a flexible way to determine the moment to
> count the clusters, while still honoring the module and driver structure.
> Counting in a background task can be implemented using this ioctl() function
> if you would like the idea of a background task. I suppose your application
> will be leading in whether you counting in the background will help you or
> not, it's not a general rule. If the application starts writing right after
> mounting, a background task will not speed up things. If writing starts
> hours after mounting (like in our case), the counting is done when you need
> the result.

What if this decision was made during build time? Then there is no
added code size for applications that use the card in read-only.
Also, if there is a background task, it could read-ahead, and maintain
a small list of known to be free clusters, and take a hint from
FSI_Nxt_Free when vol->vol_last_clust isn't initialized.

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa