[En-Nut-Discussion] debugging application on ethernut board 3.1 with Eclipse

Paul Govers p.govers at triple-it.nl
Thu Jul 1 10:28:27 CEST 2010

Hello All,

I am trying to debug my application on a ethernut board 3.1 with eclips
but when I try to debug I get the following message in my eclipse IDE:

source C:\ethernut-4.9.8\nutapp\combiketel\prj\eclipse_ram.gdb
0x10002968 in ?? ()
JTAG tap: at91r40008.cpu tap/device found: 0x1f0f0f0f (mfg: 0x787, part:
0xf0f0, ver: 0x1)
background polling: on
TAP: at91r40008.cpu (enabled)
target state: running
requesting target halt and executing a soft reset
target state: halted
target halted in ARM state due to debug-request, current mode:
Supervisor
cpsr: 0x200000d3 pc: 0x00000000
add_usage_text <command> [...] <usage_text>]
usage [<command> ...]
arm7_9 sw_bkpts enable: command requires more arguments
in procedure 'arm7_9' called at file "command.c", line 637
called at file "command.c", line 352
C:\ethernut-4.9.8\nutapp\combiketel\prj\eclipse_ram.gdb:18: Error in
sourced command file:
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.

It seems that the command 'arm7_9 sw_bkpts enable' requires more
arguments and there is a problem on line 18 in my .gdb file(that line:
load)

My eclipse_ram.gdb file looks as follows

target remote localhost:3333
monitor reset
monitor sleep 500
monitor poll
monitor soft_reset_halt
monitor arm7_9 sw_bkpts enable

# Ethernut 3 remapping is required to access external flash memory.
monitor mww 0xffe00000 0x1000212d
monitor mww 0xffe00004 0x20003025
monitor mww 0xffe00008 0x21002026
monitor mww 0xffe00010 0x22002e3e
monitor mww 0xffe00020 0x00000001

# needed for gdb 6.8 and higher
set mem inaccessible-by-default off

load
break main
continue

I have followed the steps on the following websites
http://www.ethernut.de/en/hardware/enut3/openocd.html
http://www.yagarto.de/howto/debugnutos/index.html

before I start debugging I start openocd with the following parameters
C:\ethernut-4.9.8\nut\tools\win32\openocd.exe -f
interface\turtelizer2.cfg -f ethernut3.cfg

Anyone any idea what i doing wrong?

Greetings
Paul