[En-Nut-Discussion] EIR and AJAX

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Mon Mar 8 20:27:29 CET 2010

Hi!

>> So there are request parts like search= and genre= that are not part of
>> the function called. And the 0=play part is reversed as it has to look
>> like play=0.
>
> Web programming is definitely frightening for C programmers. I stumbled
> over this several time. The problem is, that the button text is bound to
> the value.

Hehe, yes I know, that's why I modified the table generating function
that now writes onClick="DoPlay(i)" to the action, where i is exchanged
by the index of the table.
But the problem seems to be that the form still has priority over the
java-script function. So a click on that Play button does still a form
submit instead of the java-script call.
Obviously it's something very fundamental, that I made wrong.

I examined the page with this nice tool called firebug. And then I saw
the following:
The whole EIR page is made of a table. I put the script into the
onlinelist.shtml and that may be a problem as it is included by the
content and may be not executeable for that reason.
So I searched for the top file where the <head> part is located and put
it there. Now it should be resident for all pages.
If it finally works, this way has other fortunes, as the scripts have to
be transferred only once, saving cpu power of the player and the scripts
may become some more general, taking over some other functs.

But until now it doesn't work... Still searching for the reason.

> There are even more confusing things like
>
> value="<!--#echo var="hostname" -->"
>
> Note the nested quotes, pure horror...
>
>> I'm a bit puzzled and yess, I know that the search and genre functions
>> are not complete.
>
> Welcome to my club. ;-)
>
> Probably Ole or Joshua may be able to help.

Yes, I hope for their responses :)

Ulrich