[En-Nut-Discussion] News on Ethernut 5

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Fri Mar 19 00:01:55 CET 2010

Unfortunately that is the situation on the market.

We had to change a FLASH on a system as it was announced to be
discontinued. We changed the chips ones that hat a status of in
production. While we finished the drivers for uBoot and kernel, these
new chips where set to 'not recommended for new designs'...
At the same time, the RAM chips where discontinued too.

While we managed to get a fair ammount of all chips to keep up
production, a new order of more chips got a delivery announcment for mid
of the year...         ... mid of year 2011 ...

Thats the actual market situation.

In the beginning of the crisis they stopped all production and closed
the fabs. Now they see, that there is still a market and it is growing.
But if you stopped a chip fab you need some time to get it working
again. Hire people, kalibrate the machines, update the processes...

And all those smaller companies that try to live have bad luck as the
first millions of chips are already ordered for mobiles, consoles, TV
sets...

Best regards
Ulrich