[En-Nut-Discussion] Suggestion for (q)nutconf

uprinz2 at netscape.net uprinz2 at netscape.net
Thu Oct 21 12:22:23 CEST 2010

Hi!

If you develop for multiple projects or like to quick check if your modifications of nut/os work on other platforms too, you always have to do lots of steps:

You need to find the nutbld and nutapp directory for the project, replace the directory names in (q)nutconf -> settings -> Build Directory and Install Directory and in the Samples Directory. Then you have to change the architecture specific compiler and programmer too.

As this is a bit complicated, I'd like to suggest an improvement to optionally save these settings in a project specific manor.

I know that there rises a problem if this config options are simply added to the project.conf files because this would show up lots of times as changes to the SVN if you do not exclude these files from commit.

So here is my idea:

Why not adding optionally a second file to the project.conf files called project.nutset ( we can discuss the extension)?
On loading a project.conf file (q)nutconf now searches for a file of the same name but with the other extension. If it exists, the settings are overwritten by the content of the .nutset file.

There is no need to separately present save/load menu entries as we can exclude these files from svn automatically. So the files can be loaded and saved every time you load or save a .conf file.

I think this is the best way to represent the easyness of nutos way of working:
/nut
/nutbld-avr-gcc
/nutapp-avr-gcc
/nutbld-stm32-gcc
/nutapp-stm32-gcc
/nutbld-arm-gcc

They then can all coexist in peace and are not accidentially overwritten if you missed to rewrite all these settings every time you switch the architecture.

Best regards
Ulrich