[En-Nut-Discussion] EMAC and PHY separation?

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:35:55 CEST 2010

Hi Ulrich,

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM,  <uprinz2 at netscape.net> wrote:

> This is not true for chips that incorporate both of them like modern Micrel or others.
> But even there the driver for the PHY and the EMAC portion can be handled in different driver source files.
>

> This makes the things mor configureable via nutconf and does not require the designer of a hardware to use the one PHY supported by the devel-kit but gives him freedom of choice.

   Yes I agree. A while back I proposed a library of phys. It could be
a driver (stack) just as well. Also, we can make all platforms have
access to some code or config that is PHY related.
   Even thought they are more or less standard, there are some models
that can provide an interrupt or other additional data (like detect
cable disconnect).

Att.
   Thiago A. Correa