[En-Nut-Discussion] FW: AVR32 / ARM support

Johan van der Stoel johan at streamit.eu
Tue Sep 28 14:34:00 CEST 2010

Hello,

I tried to find at the ethernut website and wiki, but could not find answers
on my questions. So I decided to make a posting as I think this question can
be interesting as well for other users.

We are investigating to start developing of a new platform for our internet
audio products. Currently we use the ATMEGA2561 and ATMEGA128 devices,
mainly based on Ethernut 1. And.. Nut/OS of course. We have developed lots
of application modules and also written some own drivers.

Our new platform should - of course - be more powerful and we considering
whether we should use Nut/OS again or move to another platform. As we know
Nut/OS quite well, our preference would be Nut/OS but we have some questions
left.

1.       Which ARM and AVR devices are actively supported by the community
yet; is there somewhere an overview where the limitations are?

2.       We want to have more advanced support of Ethernet devices and
networking; currently we use RTL8019, but in our new platform we want to be
able to support devices with MII / RMII interfaces and also switches with
this kind of interfaces, like the Micrel KS8993 and KS8995. In the postings
I have read about some limitations; is someone able to comment on the
complexity once we decide to proceed with this?

3.       IPv6 support.

I look forward to receive some comments (either privately or through the
mailing list). As well from experienced Nut/OS developers who are interested
in - for example - developing of Nut/OS drivers for our new platform.

Best regards,

Johan van der Stoel

---------

Streamit BV

Verdunplein 10, 5627 SZ Eindhoven, The Netherlands

KvK: 17192664

Email:  <mailto:johan at streamit.eu> johan at streamit.eu

Web:   <http://www.streamit.eu> http://www.streamit.eu

Mobile: +31 6 18842718