[En-Nut-Discussion] NutOS relocatable?

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Tue Apr 5 23:32:24 CEST 2011

Just an idea, but I am interested in your rating:

Lets say I have more than twice the flash size I need for the code and
smaller chips are not really cheaper but less available. And have a
bootloader that supports reflashing the firmware at runtime.

How difficult would it be to make Nut/OS relocatable to have the
firmware at two different places in the system? As the firmware is
compiled once it needs to be dynamic in the way that it might be started
from two different flash sections.

To implement this, would you rate that easy, difficult or horrible?

The bootloader can exchange the reset vector and my Cortex
implementation doesn't use any pre-initialized interrupt vector at all.
But how about scheduler, task switching and all those nifty compiler
settings?

Unfortunately the chips that support two separate flash banks where each
can be switched to the boot location are lot more expensive and have way
to much flash.

Ulrich