[En-Nut-Discussion] HDLC in charcter mode?

Michael Müller mmueller at cs.uni-kassel.de
Tue Apr 12 11:40:04 CEST 2011

Hi Hendrik,

I had similar problems with an Ethernut 1.3 board some time ago. Maybe
it is transferable to your problem. I used these functions to do the
mode switch:

void setPPPdevRawMode(void)
{
	char rawmode = 1;
	_ioctl(pppcom , UART_SETRAWMODE, &rawmode ) ;
	_read(pppcom, 0, 0);
}

void setPPPdevHDLCMode(void)
{
	char rawmode = 0;
	_ioctl(pppcom , UART_SETRAWMODE, &rawmode ) ;
	_read(pppcom, 0, 0);
}

The other issue was that chars I wrote to the device didn´t appear at
the output of the Uart. The solution is always to flush the device manually:

_read(pppcom, 0, 0);	// flush input
_write(pppcom, send, sendLength);  //write command to modem
_write(pppcom, 0, 0);   // flush output

Because the default chat-function doesn´t work with this behaviour I
implemented my own simple chat function that also consumes less memory
and fits better to my demands.

I hope this is useful for you
 Michael