[En-Nut-Discussion] NutDAC - Open Source ( Ethernuts and fuel cells )

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Wed Apr 20 10:48:30 CEST 2011

Dear community.

FYI.

We have been using NutOS and Ethernut for a while in fuel cell research
projects at the (former) Helsinki University of Technology (nowadays
Aalto University) and the Technical Research Center of Finland (VTT).
The original goal was to replace the "expensive" and bulky control
system that we were using with the fuel cells (Labview based) with a
"cheap" and small embedded solution closer to a final mobile
commercializable product. Later goals included a real demo of a fuel
cell powering an industrial forklift.

We are quite happy with the result and we think that our work might be
useful to others, so we have released some SW and HW designs as Open
Source (BSD). Have a look at

http://autsys.tkk.fi/nutdac/

In short:
We have developed a flexible layered software system that helps to
easily and quickly create generic embedded real time data acquisition
and control applications that can be remotely controlled from a PC
(using, for example, a nice GUI). We call it NutDAC (NutOS based Data
Acquisition and Control)

NutDAC has been used to created the control applications of several fuel
cell based power sources, the last two of them being an 8kW one with 100
I/O channels and a 16kW one with 188 I/0 channels (the later was used in
the forklift)

In the web pages you can find, among other things:
-The NutDAC source code, including some examples
-Extensive documentation and a hands on demo
-The control software for our 8 and 16kW fuel cells
-The HW design and drivers of the instrumentation boards used (can be
used as generic IO cards)

As usual, we provide the software "as is", thinking that it might be
useful to others and simply wishing to contribute back to the community.
Should you have any question, comments or (constructive) feedback,
please contact me.

BR
José Vallet