[En-Nut-Discussion] Off-topic - Building Nut/OS fast...very fast

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:45:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Ole Reinhardt
<ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de> wrote:

> a) Building the basic NutOS infrastructure takes long time:
>  - Documentation (doxygen parses all files etc.)

I would guess it's done only once. Probably the problem lies with
building Nut/OS for each platform.

>  - C++: Compiling C++ (nutconf / qnutconf) is horrible slow compared
>    with pure C

I can speed qnutconf build with precompiled headers. qmake enables
them in a platform/compiler independent way, not too hard, just didn't
think it was worth, but can easily be done.

> b) Building the kernel and libraries itself:
>  - Lots of small files needs to be compiled.

Maybe it's obvious, but make -j NUMBER_CORES does speed up the build
quite a lot. I used that in qnutconf and got build down to half the
time compared to nutconf. We could also consider tweaking the
makefiles to support ccache.

Harald, are you building for release or build tests? Maybe we could
consider a buildbot?

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa