[En-Nut-Discussion] Updating SP-Duo (was Winavr, studio 4.18 and ethernut 13h, trying to follow your guidance...)

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Mar 11 20:14:00 CET 2011

Hi Karla,

I changed the subject in order to divide the problems you have.

Btw. please note, that it is considered unfriendly mailing list behavior
not to trim down quotes to the required minimum. It is also very
difficult to follow as you didn't quote my replies. There are several
guides available in the Web about mailing list netiquette.

Anyway, never mind...

On 3/11/2011 5:22 PM, Karla Gamez wrote:

> When trying to update the SPduo firmware, i had this trouble: In
> command line shell, i put sp2update.exe -v -P COM4 spduo24.enc (i am
> in the directory where the spduo24.enc file is, and run it normally

You probably meant that the command you entered was

  win32/sp2update -v -P COM4 spduo24.enc

> and as admin) I have the duo on com4, and according to the txt file
> and the nutwiki spduo page, that´s the correct way to write it. When
> i hit enter i get the following: " sp2update 1.0.1 ERROR! COM4: Port
> not available " I tried changing ports,, didn´t work. I am sure i

I'm not sure what you meant with "changing ports". Did you simply change
the command line or did you physically change the port. How many serial
ports does your PC has?

> checked it was the com4. I tried connecting both JTAG an SPI, just
> JTAG and just SPI, but didn´t work either. I don´t know if it´s

The connection to the Ethernut SPI or JTAG is only to supply power to
the SPU Duo. Which one you use doesn't matter, but in general you should
not use both of them.

> relevant but the red power supply, the green and the yellow leds are

The status of the Ethernut board doesn't matter either. As long as the
red power supply LED is on, everything is fine.

> on always. I do get the version on teraterm, SP Duo v2.3  but the
> command line shell thing, just doesn´t work for me.

This is the basic test that should be done first. If this works, then
the serial port is fine. In TeraTerm you also selected COM4, right?

Well, I assume, that you kept TeraTerm running while trying the command
line. This won't work, because TeraTerm blocks the port. Please quit
TeraTerm and try the sp2update command again.

While reading the README.txt again I noticed, that this subtle detail
isn't explained. Well, that happens when long term users like me are
writing instructions for newbies. I'm sorry for that.