[En-Nut-Discussion] Any Work-in-progress or else for the XMEGA

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Sun Mar 13 13:37:11 CET 2011

Hi Uwe,

to be honest...

When Atmel started to introduce these chips round about two or three
years ago, I was very interested and even took a seminar on them. But as
time faded and none of the chips where released...

Now I prefer STM32F series from STM as they give 32 Bit Power by exactly
the same cost or even less compared to the AVRs. ATxmega could have been
a great thing but it needed much to long time to appear.

So we do now run sensors and other slow things on CortexM3 but down
clocked to 16MHz or less and we save a lot of flash as we have 16/32 Bit
values to be calculated what normally cause overhead on systems with
lower architecture size.
So for a CAN connected Sensor I need 4.2mA at 16MHz and know that I can
even scale down to 8MHz but also fire up to 60Mhz and I can use the same
Nut/OS code for anything from 32pin to 10x pin devices of the same
family. And I propose that I can even use 99% of the code with the next
generation of STM32F2xx with up to 100+MHz. (But I still miss the
dev-kit... STM: Hello!)

Best regards
Ulrich