[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Copyright of trivial code

Henrik Maier hmnews at proconx.com
Sat Mar 19 03:48:10 CET 2011

Hi all,

Copyright law is indeed tricky as it still differs from country to
country despite some attempts to standardise it through the Bern
Convention. Then there are also moral rights and commercial rights. You
can assign and transfer the commercial rights but still own the moral
rights.

But most jurisdictions agree that only something of substance can be
protected. If its trivial, you can write any copyright statement you
want but still don't have protection.

A basic makefile most certainly won't fullfill that criteria, so any
copyright claims in it are void anyway.

Then there is the question if the copyright concerns the whole work (=
Nut/OS), a library (a collection of headers and C files), a module
(header and C file), or just a particular file. When is something
considered work? Another area of potentially endless debate.

I suggest to remove any copyright headers from trivial files and leave
it to lawyers to determine if that trivial file can be protected or not
or if it can be considered public domain.

For sample files which purpose is to give people a starting point for
their own application I would include a special header clearly
specifying that is is sample code which can be re-used without any
reference to copyright or permissions. But the WARRANTIES disclaimer
should be in the sample files to protect the author. For example:

  * The following source file constitutes example program code and is
  * intended merely to illustrate useful programming techniques.  The user
  * is responsible for applying the code correctly.
  * Re-use of this code is encouraged and the author does not claim any
copyright for the following example code.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY ....  AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
  * WARRANTIES, blablahhhh

Cheers

Henrik Maier