[En-Nut-Discussion] Stdlib error sorted - Thanks. SAM-BA CDC Workaround

uprinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Fri May 20 09:59:44 CEST 2011

Ulrich,
Thank you, Ole, John and Harald very much for your useful help and
advice.

I have worked through the compilation issues with POSIX
unsetenv disabled and commented out the unused variables that caused
warnings. I have also put a distinct marker comment next to it so that
I can search them out again and provide a list of them if you would
like it.
</qoute>
Congrats! Fine to hear that.

Incidentally, I contacted Harald about the SAM-BA CDC issue and managed
to find a work around. In Windows Vista and 7, the SAM-BA installer
only installs the CDC version of the drivers and program. If you
inspect the compatibility tab of the _installer_ exe file, it is
possible to run the program in compatibility mode for windows XP, which
will install both the original (\usb\arm0) and CDC (com port only)
versions of the SAM-BA program.
</qoute>

Out of long development history I strongly advice any one to buy a simple
cheap JTAG adapter and use it instead of this integrated bootloaders. They
work but they require lots of manual steps to be activated and so on. If you
look at openocd software and some matching JTAG adapter it will cost you
about 39EUR plus some PP and you're fine for the next years with programming
and debugging. It will save you a lot of time and make debugging real fun.
You learn from the lines you disassemble, see what the compiler makes out of
you high level language and you discover that modifying a single if/els or
while parameter saves dozens of bytes in the flash.

Ulrich

-----
Best regards
Ulrich